Friday, March 22, 2013

Miri 1


Miri is a big town small city about 40 minutes by plane from Kota Kinabalu. Borneo Island looks sort of like the profile of a terrier, with its face towards the right. Miri is just a little bit further south of Brunei, a country famed for its wealth from oil and gas, and for the exciting lifestyles of its rulers. This is my first trip to Miri although 20 years ago I was nearly there when I spent a couple of days in the famous limestone caves of Miri called Mulu Caves. The caves are worth a visit. You can skip the town unless you like hot open spaces, chaotic roads, bad drivers and randomly located buildings.

Miri looks like it's on a booming roll, with thousands of new houses and super straight wide roads (envy). Other than the oil and gas industry, Miri's economy is fueled also by the presence of 3,500 Curtin University (of Australia) students. Beats me why anyone would want to spend four years seeking knowledge in a place like Miri but then who am I to judge, especially when my own son is enrolled there for foundation studies. I've always advised kids that university life is not just about studying, but also being exposed to different cultures and ideologies.

I was so looking forward to eating Fuzhou noodles; just love them. From the airport, we went straight to Hong Yung Cafe in Morsjaya, less than 10 minutes away.

    Look at that, only RM4 for a bowl of noodles! 

    The people sitting at the next table were having this, steamed tofu with pork and salted fish, but it had to be pre-ordered a day before. Darn it, it looked good.

    This is baiguogang, fried sticky rice noodles. It was yum. The Shanghainese has a different way of frying these noodles, here.  

    This is one of my fave Fuzhou noodles but this bowl of din bian hu was rather bland. It didn't have the deep flavor of pork bones and cuttlefish stock that lady at the Fuzhuo Association building in Kota Kinabalu used to serve.

    Again, maybe because I was comparing all these noodle dishes to those I ate at the Fuzhuo Building in KK, I found this rather bland although I did like it because the fish balls were home-made and the sourish jowcai (a preserved veg) was refreshing.

    Pork liver and heart soup. I ate a slice of liver; it was tender and tasty.

    About 10 years ago, a friend used to bring delicious Sarawak kolo mee back to KK every Friday night. This plate of kolo mee is not as good as my favorite kolo mee in Inanam, KK. 

It was an eating spree all day in Miri. We ate pork and taro buns at tea time but I wasn't impressed (the bao was fine and soft but the filling was just a bit of meat with lots of chopped onions held together by thick gravy. The taro filling looked dyed and tasted of cheap margarine) so I didn't bother with photos.

My son had a good meal at Mei Xiang Cafe (second shop on the right, Jalan Jee Foh Utama, Krokop)  a couple of weeks ago and dreamt about eating the pork dishes again.

    Midin is a fern that is to Sarawakians as sayur manis is to Sabahans: very loved and ubiquitous. The midin here was fried in rice wine--utterly delicious.

    Another hit, chicken cooked in wine--awesome fragrance and flavor!

    My son's fave dish, thin slices of pork belly fried with salted fish served piping hot in a claypot.

    Pork belly slices fried with salt (joo rou chao yen). This tasted quite ordinary, like Korean samgyusal and it went well with rice.

    House tofu.

    A simple dish of bean sprouts with salted fish--crunchy sprouts, tasty sauce and a strong 'wok fire' made this the best dish to me.

The bill came to RM73.40 for 6 of us. No wonder Hub thinks Miri is great. I was not so sure because by the time we got to our car, my stomach was churning. I spent the whole night in discomfort. I couldn't figure out what--the lunch, the tea break or the dinner--caused the runs because only three of us got sick.

11 comments:

ck said...

Honesty Terri I would love to have a stomach like yours. Those dishes look so delicious and I would love to eat every single dish unfortunately my body just flush them out in less than 30 minutes. I definitely admire you for what you can eat and look so good.

Jessie said...

hi there,

come across your blog after googling :)
i am planning for a trip to miri and of course to mulu..
do you mind sharing the mulu package and some of the itinerary for the whole trip..
thanks..

triShie said...

Miri is my beloved hometown, so nice to read the familiar names :) thanks for making me crave for a taste! *drool*

terri@adailyobsession said...

ck: oh no, my body is not like before and i'm beginning to wind down on my portions...

jessie:my trip to mulu caves was a long time ago!

trishie: how are you?! you look awesome!

Anonymous said...

HI,TERRI
where is your favorite kolo mee in Inanam, KK?

terri@adailyobsession said...

anon: i dont rmber the name of the shop but it's in front of the bus terminal. the stall sells other fuzhou noodles too and nest door is a roasted duck noodles restaurant. i find the kolo mee very lard-fragrant:)

Jaxson corey said...

I loved the post. I've been fooling around with a middle grade novel this past year, but had an idea for a children's rhyming book, and just completed it. I teach kindergarten, so I have read lots of good and bad rhyming books. I think I'm ready to publish, but am having a hard time finding the guidelines for formatting a picture book. I've found one site that said to put a header at the top with your contact information and then double space the rest, but is this true for a rhyming book as well? Thanks for all the clever tips. Patricia Megahey
Great interview! Read Me Dead sounds like it has a really good story in there!
write-my-paper-for-cheap
cheap-paper-writing-service
Accounts Software For Small Business
Simran Kaur

Carol said...

Hi there,

I love your post very much. There seems to be a mistake for the noodles. I think that should be "kampua" (a favourite noodles among people in Sibu) instead of "kolo mee". Correct me if I am wrong...

Unknown said...

شات بنات مصر
شات بنات مصر
شات مصرى
شات مصرى
شات مصري
بنات مصر
دردشة

شات
شات
شات
شات مصر
شات مصرية

شات مصرى
شات بنات مصر
شات مصرى
بنات مصر
دردشة
شات مصرى
شات بنات
شات مصر
شات مصرية

شات مصرية
شات مصريه

Harish Sangwan said...

Happy Rose Day
rose day images
rose day 2016
rose day pics
rose day special
rose day sms
rose day quotes
rose day messages
when is rose day
rose day wallpaper
rose day sms in hindi
rose day sayari
rose day status
rose day msg
rose day gift

Zonahobisaya said...

Le upega tafa'ilagi lelei : Logo
Le upega tafa'ilagi lelei : lambang
Le upega tafa'ilagi lelei : Zonahobisaya
Le upega tafa'ilagi lelei : Sinopsis Film
Le upega tafa'ilagi lelei : Zonahobisaya
Le upega tafa'ilagi lelei : Profil
Le upega tafa'ilagi lelei : Zonahobisaya
Le upega tafa'ilagi lelei : Zonahobisaya

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...