Sunday, October 30, 2011

Mt Jelliriffic!


                                                        "Celebrate life, love and humour"

DSC_8479.jpga

DSC_8644
                             I think the cone done up this way would be great for a promotion cake, or a graduation cake to signify achievement because the mould was inspired by mountains that challenge us to overcome our fears. It's all about relishing life and living it with a purpose and passion. In Nick Munro's words, "Celebrate love, life and humour". 

What I really wanted to make for the finale post for the Jelliriffic! Challenge was a chocolate marquise using After Eight Mints that my friend Su had bought for me from KL (none in KK, can you believe it!), as per Gordon Ramsey's recipe in the Nov 2007 issue of Good Food. I wanted  a chocolate shell that fits over the choc marquise, with the lines of the mountains but that failed because the choc shell couldn't be pried off the mould without breaking.

So what I did instead today was covered the choc marquise with melted dark choc with the intention of drawing the outline of the mould using a metal skewer but because the marquise was frozen (and it had to be or it'll melt fast in hot weather because it's so rich), the melted choc hardened quickly when smeared onto the choc marquise. It was impossible to draw the lines on hardened choc. With trembling hands, I peeled the hardened choc off. Parts of the marquise came off with the hardened choc too. What a mess! In the end I drew the lines of the mountain on the marquise. It wasn't what I wanted but I was thankful that at least it wasn't so bad looking.
                              
I like using the mould to hold flowers too. It's small and looks elegant on a wedding cake, don't you think?

DSC_8522.jpga

DSC_8543.jpga

So there you are, my last 2 ways to use the beautiful Jelliriffic! mould. It's been a stressful sleep-deprived fun month. I want to thank all of you for staying with me and supporting this Challenge. Goodnight!

DSC_8624.jpga
 Choc marquise is a very rich choc dessert (basically it's just whipped dark choc) which I usually can't eat more than two spoonfuls of but the addition of mint in this recipe makes the choc marquise very refreshing and SO yummy! Thumbs up Gordon!

Gordon Ramsey's Choc Marquise (1 cone + extra)
60 gm dark choc, melted over a bain marie
30 gm unsalted butter, softened
30 gm caster sugar*
1.2 tbsp cocoa powder (I used Valrhona), sifted
1 egg yolk (I omitted this; don't want raw eggs)
90 ml double cream
60 gm After Eights

* you may want to half this amount because the mints are very sweet or you can make the layers of choc deeper so that there's less mint.

1. Whip the butter with the sugar (if using the egg yolk, use half the sugar at this step) until light and creamy. Beat in the cocoa powder. If using egg yolk, whisk it with half the sugar until pale and creamy.

2. Mix in the melted dark choc, the egg yolk mixture and the double cream.

3. Put a spoonful of choc marquise into the grease proof paper-lined mould and place a small piece of mint on top. Repeat until mould is full. Cover with wrap and chill until hardened. In cold weather, take dessert out of fridge 10 minutes before serving so that it is easier to slice.

This is a good dessert to make days ahead so that you don't have to rush on the day of the dinner.

21 comments:

tina said...

Fantastic, great work Terri! I am so proud of you. This last piece of work looks and I assume tastes great as well!

Well at least your husband and Wei will have you back and you can go and have your life back! Kanpai!

Anonymous said...

Terri,

*Applause* You did! I will try it minus the egg!

Good Luck! Terri-riffic!

A friend from the state that's high in the middle and round on both ends!

Anonymous said...

..this would be one of my favourite!!
I like your fantasy Terri!!
Good work, you're never tired to try different things! I like it!

Greetings!
Laura

RUNNING BROOK said...

How wonderful of you to have contributed your time, sweat and effort to one month's awareness for Breast Cancer. We are all so proud of you. :P

Now for fingers crossed to see who wins. We are definitely cheering for you.

Anonymous said...

Well done, Terri. I have enjoyed all your creations and I can see you have put a lot of effort into this challenge to let people be aware of breast cancer. Thank you.

B.Lee, NZ

Veronica Lee said...

This is chocdelicious - the pic with the cut insides look so yummy. Congratulations for finishing a worthy project and have fun getting back your life again!! As I said before, all these jellies must be put into a collection of some kind. They are too awesome and breathtaking to be just filed away.

ona said...

you have done great!!!! really enjoyed every single one of it. couldn't wait to check out your blog everyday to see what you have come up with. it amazes me that you have so much creativity going on. secretly wished that this challenge would not end...:) hope you win it! even if you don't, i think your readers will all agree that you have won!

Elsie T said...

awww, im literally munching on a bar of dark choc now! haha. i really really love all your jellyrific creations! esp the kk mount jelly and the xmas tree! ;) have a good day and God bless!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

a tempting creation!

Blur Ting said...

You are so dedicated, meticulous, innovative and adventurous and you present each creation in the most artful photos, you really earn our respect!

Anonymous said...

You are terrific with the jelliriffic!

Greg Wee said...

Congrats! Now go sleep for one week m eat good food. Nee.

Sharn said...

What a brilliant effort! And what a wonderful last entry :) I had been meaning to visit your site regularly and watch as the entries grew, but time was never on my side and I forgot until it was too late.

But because so much love and effort and talent has gone into everyone's entries, I still think they deserved recognition, hence the viewing and commenting now! (Also, I wanted to see all the end results of course!)

Anyway, I'm so pleased I came back to your blog and read through them all. What a fantastic month! Well done Terri and all the best. I'll definitely be coming back here again! :)

sharn.subs@gmail.com

Zurin said...

What a beautiful end to the challenge. You win.

Love the pink cone of flowers :))))

malaymui said...

is this the end? thought it should be 31 entries? well done, I love how you use it to hold the flowers.

Anonymous said...

You're already a winner in my eyes, Terri! Bravo!

Esther

Anonymous said...

Terri, well done. You are the real winner.

consultant fiscal said...

This recipe sounds very good and i think it is delicious and it fits perfect with my taste. My opinion is that this isn`t a very hard recipe so i will try it very soon, thanks a lot for sharing.

terri@adailyobsession said...

thank you thank you!!! i miss making a cone everyday. it was FUN and it was FUNNY too. i think there shd be a prize for the wackiest creation--i'll enter my sashimi cone for tt:D

Sharon said...

I'm back! Went thru all the posts i've missed and i must say that you did very very very well. We are so proud of you.

Florence said...

Hi Terri,
Congratulations are in order, (even if this post is a few days late). I'm so proud of you, what a terrific, superb & fabulous job you delivered.

Going back to my earlier post, all the more reason you should publish the recipes so we can buy your book & give to friends.
I reckon there's be more creations/ food adventures from you. All the best! Hugs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...