Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Cheese Baked Rice A La King

P1330716
Cheese baked rice

You know the baked cheese-topped fried rice in dim sum baskets served in char chan tengs, Hong Kong-style fusion coffee houses? I was trying to make that dish, except I didn't want the usual fried rice topped with pork or chicken chop or luncheon meat. I thought chicken a la king, a dish we enjoy, would be good instead of fried rice but this dish goes to prove that the same thing served in a different style can be utterly disastrous. I don't know, you can try it out and tell me what you think. Maybe macoroni would work better than rice for this dish. You can still do the dish the char chan teng way, by frying up some rice with luncheon meat and mixed peas and carrots, top with a piece of pork chop or ham, and then top that with mozzarella cheese, cheddar & parmesan cheeses.

I didn't think I would blog about a recipe I didn't like. But who knows, some of you may like fusion food better than us. Wey, who disliked Chinese-Western fusion food, now hates it after eating this. And I feel the same too. Little kids may fall for it, thinking it is western. Yes, it might work on kids.

P1330706
Cheese Baked Rice A La King
3 cups Chicken a la king*, warm/hot
5 cups cooked plain rice or macaroni, warm/hot**
120 g mozzarella, grated
100 g parmesan & cheddar (or just one type of either cheese), grated

*make the sauce slightly thicker than usual for this dish

**or use fried rice, top with a chicken chop or pork chop or fried egg or fried luncheon meat or ham. Omit the chicken a la king.

1. Oven at 250 C, rack on upper half of oven.

2. Wrap a bamboo dim sum basket with foil, leaving an overhang wide enough to wrap the sides of the basket so that the basket won't burn.

3. Put the cooked rice into the basket, level it and then top with the chicken a la king. Make sure the chicken & sauce is level.

4. Sprinkle an even layer of mozzarella followed by the parmesan and cheddar, and pop into the oven for 3-4 minutes until bubbly and golden brown in some spots. Serve hot.

11 comments:

Terri said...

Oh, Terri, I am so cranky lately, but this looks like the dish that could cheer me up! Mmmmm, comfort food at it's best.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA!! Your post really brightened me up. This is the first time I read such 'lazy' recipe instructions from your post. I feel cranky today, and I cooked spinach and beef in one wok which supposedly to be cooked separately-two dishes.

Gee, I feel better now because at least, I know I'm not the only one who's feeling this way. Haha!

Thank you and have a nice evening ;-D

Regards,
YA

fishm0i said...

Chicken Ala King!! it looks goodie to go with Cheese Baked Rice. Yum Yum

terri@adailyobsession said...

hahaha, high 5 girls bc i too feel blah today. to make it worse, i just went out n had durians, n i feel even more **** now, bc on top of feeling ****, i feel guilty for eating when i am on a diet to loose weight by end of nov so i can eat more in dec, u understand??

so terri (in usa) n YA, hers's to a better day tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Terri. You too have a better day tomorrow.

I'm still laughing..hahaha! I was waiting for your new post anxiously and it finally arrived. It tickled me so much to read your recipe and the instructions. Haha!!

God Bless. ;-)

Regards,
YA

Fooman said...

It looks alot like one of the many lunches I had while working in Hong kong

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

My daughter will love this rice, she loves cheese..

Par said...

Wooooo I am going to bookmark this recipe!

Vijay Eswaran said...

wow..Looks great though.hehehe

:)

Cynthia said...

Hi Terri,
Your baked rice looks so appetizing! It must be very yummy.. I must try one day. Thanks for sharing. I like your blog as it's very interesting!

Cyndisc

terri@adailyobsession said...

YA: i wonder, do i know u?

fooman: i haven't tried char chan tengs in hk, must be good

sonia: oh yes, if she loves cheese (my daughter too, when she was young. i must warn you, cheese makes girls grow) she'll like this

ms k: give it a go

vihay: give it a go

cyndisc: try it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...