Saturday, February 21, 2009

Crumpets With Mascarpone

crumpet

Sometimes I really don't know what to feed Wey for breakfast. He is not a cheery morning person and getting him to school is already a battle, let alone make him eat when he's still half-asleep.

I made crumpets yesterday morning and surprise, Wey ate two. Of course I psyched him by telling him that nobody serves crumpets with mascarpone (oh, heaven!) and blueberry preserves and so it's a rare treat. He also doesn't know that crumpets are just another type of pancakes. I tell him crumpets are home-made English muffins, something we like from McD's breakfast. One day he'll find out but by then hopefully he'll be making his own breakfast.

People ask why I go through so much trouble when I can just buy ready-made stuff. Well, first of all, we can't find crumpets here. Second, I don't trust our bakeries. I know what they put in breads and cakes, because I have taken a bread-making course with a big local bread producer. It's all about profits, friends, so don't think they mean it when they tell you your health comes first. I also read somewhere that 70-80% of the salt we consume is in drinks and processed foods. Think about that, and you'll understand why hypertension is the most common health problem these days. The more 'civilised' your living style, the more processed food you tend to eat. Everything has to be prepared and ready because after all the commuting, teleconference meetings, wheeling and dealing, nobody has the time and energy to cook from scratch. All the money made in the end goes to meds and hospital bills.

I like the slight chewy texture of crumpets. I could never make light and fluffy pancakes from scratch and please don't tell me about that french recipe where you whip the whites separately. That's just too much work for a couple of pancakes. Crumpets, however, can be made successfully from scratch. And they can be made ahead and toasted when you want them. Whether you serve them with butter and jam, or even kaya like Wey likes them, or mascarpone, which makes them heavenly, crumpets are my pick over scones right now because there's no butter or oil in them.

crumpet2
It's best to get same-sized rings. You may prefer those with a handle. I got mine at Daiso. Grease them well, or they'd be hard to ease out, like what happened to my crumpets:

crumpet4
Crumpets
2 cups plain flour*
1 t instant dry yeast (make sure it's active)
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1 T fine sugar
1 pinch salt
1 t double action baking powder

* If using self-raising flour, omit the baking powder

1. If you are unsure about the yeast, mix the water with the yeast and wait 5 minutes. If the yeast is good, the mixture will bubble. Now add all the other ingredients and mix with a hand whisk until very smooth. If you are sure, mix all the ingredients in a bowl straightaway. Leave 10 minutes (if you don't, there won't be many holes, like mine in the photos).

2. Heat and grease a griddle or frying pan.

3. Grease a few egg rings and spoon enough batter into the rings to almost fill them. Heat should be low. If you have a big enough wok cover, or any suitable lid, cover until there are holes on the surface of the crumpets.

4. Turn over and let cook until done. ease the crumpet out of the ring.

5. Serve with butter, jam, kaya, honey, mascarpone and whatever you fancy.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Terri, I missed this so much.. so they called it crumpets! My late maternal granny used to make these but didn't really know what it is or what its called. I missed her *tsk *tsk.

The thing about health food somehow appeals to those that are 25+ but upbringing also forms the habit of those born in the "civilised" society. McD, KFC and what nots are staple. Would be so glad if you are my momma hahahah

Emily said...

is something missing from the ingredient list... liquidy? Tks!

TeaLady said...

Terri - these look great and incredibly easy. I am going to try them today. Thanks for this one.

Zurin said...

the crumpets look good terri. I have a recipe for in in my british cooking book but never made them cos I once tried them in Uk and did not like the yeasty taste....but htat was when I was naive and silly....urs look so good il giveit a try...hubby actually loved it but i was bad so I never made it..heh..will do now tho..

Denise ^ ChickyEGG said...

Wey Wey is so 'hang fuk' !

Anonymous said...

thanks for the recipe...
i love crumpets! drizzle on it and it's yumm yumm

Anonymous said...

i meant to say drizzle honey on it!

Anonymous said...

Hi A Terry. Is water missing here? warm or room temp?

terri@adailyobsession said...

em, nee: sorry, there shd be 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water~

Mr. Teacher Guy said...

I love crumpets. Can't wait to try these!

Tawfiq Taher said...

Hi! Where can I find mascarpone cheese in Singapore?

terri@adailyobsession said...

mama chicken: tell me how it turned out

tawfiq: am very sure cold storage would hav mascarpone.

Crumpet Lover said...

I just got some crumpets from Lula's Cupboard online and they are great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...