Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Apple Cake

P1240671a-1

P1240667a-1
Apple cake

This doesn't look impressive, but believe me, it is absolutely yummy and a great substitute for the rich but heart-stopping apple pie. Every single one of my friends who has made it loved it. It is heavy on the apples, light on eggs and there's no butter but there's veg oil. Best of all, it's one of those recipes where you just whip everything together so there's no need to drag your Kenwood or KitchenAid out and there's no pile of bowls and utensils to wash. I think it originated from one of those Australian cook books, because I've seen it again and again in Australian magazines.

The cake is good by itself but even better with creme fraiche. Since we don't get that here all the time, I like to use a combination of fresh dairy cream lightly sweetened with some condensed milk. For me, ice cream detracts any cake so it's not allowed with this.

P1240672a
Apple Cake
1/2 kg Granny Smiths (green apples), peeled, cored & chopped chunky*
200 g self-raising flour, sifted
1/3 t cinnamon powder
200 g (or 150 g for slightly sweet n 170g for slight to medium sweet) fine sugar
1 cup oil
3 large eggs
1 t finely grated lemon rind

*update 2/4/12: I now cut the apples pea size because that makes the texture finer and the cake holds together better.

1. Sift the flour with the cinnamon powder. Put sugar, eggs and oil into a bowl and hand whisk until creamy. Add the sifted flour, stir in the apples.

2. Pour batter into a 8"/21 cm or 9"/23 cm round tin (lined) and bake at 170 C for 45 to 50 minutes until a wooden stick plunged into the middle of the cake comes out clean.

Serve with creme fraiche or fresh cream sweetened with condensed milk, whipped or not.

25 comments:

Precious Pea said...

Ok...this sounds easy. Simple ingredients too. Ok..i will do this for Chinese New Year!

Jenny Tan said...

Gosh, that looks delicious! I'll have to try that SOON. I LOVE apple related baked stuff. Thanks for sharing! :)

Rei said...

I tried another version but didn't have as much apples. Will definitely try this out. I just love apples and cinnamon!

TeaLady said...

This one will definitely go on my to do list. Great looking cake.

Agnes @ rB said...

Looks simple and delicious! =D The inside does looks abit like the pie version.

Good for tea breaks =D

Anonymous said...

What an easy cake to make. Very simple ingredients and I can see that the cake is pretty moist. Thanks for sharing!

Icey said...

Hmm .. want to ask. You don't need butter or cake flour ?

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

pp: can do it anytime, it's really easy

jenny:u r welcome. u can use a mixture of apples since u r in the US where there r many varieties.

rei: i hope u like this; i do :)

tealady: make sure it's top on the to do list!

agnes: i'll eat a second helping of this but not apple pie bc this is so much healthier

didallY: yes yes i 4got to tell tt this is a moist cake. try it n tell me?

icey: no, cake flour would be too light for a cake with fruits in it.n it's a healthy version so no butter needed. hope to see it on ur blog soon:)

ArtiSands said...

gonna try this one too....since my Breville (I am still hanging out to own a KitchenAid) is out, I am gonna have to use it.hehe...

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

ohhh i see chunks of apples..would love to try this!

ganache-ganache said...

Looks so super moist & yummy, the oil is a bit on the high side though but I guess that makes the cake moist !

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

mom, joe, ganache: u must make it. with ur eyes closed.

ai wei said...

thanks for sharing!
honestly, it's looking good for me!
gonna try a hand on this! ^^

Anonymous said...

Ooohh my mum sent me the recipe for this cake before (minus the lemon rind). Very yummylicious and moist cake! And so so easy to make! =)

Icey said...

Noted. Will try it one day, probably after Christmas. Little bit busy with my tarts now :p

Anonymous said...

hi terri. would like to try this recipe. However, would it be possible to use cake flour+baking powder instead of self raising flour? I have no idea what it is called in Chinese.
Taipei,
Jing

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

ai wei,anon, icey: tell me how it went

jing: cake flour is too light for this cake. i would use plain flour + 1 tsp baking soda + 1 tsp baking powder. self raising flour is 'zi fa fen'

Anonymous said...

hi terrie

I would like to know what kind of oil you used to bake the cake? any cooking oil or preferably olive oil? thanks in advance :)

Emily said...

Hi Terry! I was wondering about the vegetable oil too... awaiting your reply..

BTW, if you enjoyed The Kite Runner, you should read A Thousand Splendid Suns next!

terri@adailyobsession said...

anon, emily: no, don't use olive oil! any lighter tasting oil such as corn oil or canola oil is good.

thanx emily, will look out for the book:)

deannalee said...

hi terri,

i have been visiting yr blog from time to time, esp after visiting chickyeggs. (she is funny: i like her!)
i tried yr applecake twice. i sold yr recipe to a friend. good, she said. true, it was yummy and demo to a neighbour this morning. we baked 2 cakes. easy and easy!thanks and pls keep it up the good blog!

Unknown said...

Hi Terri

Your recipe says 1 cup of oil - does this mean 150ml or 250 ml please ? I wanna try making this once I get your reply... tx in advance !
SY

terri@adailyobsession said...

shuk yee: so sorry i 4got to reply u! 1 cup_250 ml! i think u can use 200 ml oil if u want to cut back on it.

Favbabe said...

hi there,
just wanna let you know that i've tried this recipe and it's FANTASTIC! Thanks for sharing this guilt free recipe. My 18 months old daughter and hubby cannot stop eating them :)

Anonymous said...

Hi. I just tried this cake today(without lemon rind), and it was absolutely delicious!! I wrote it down in my recipe book straight away. So easy to make and so tasty. Thank you for sharing. Cheers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...