Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Day 6 Dinner

I am persistent, as you all know by now, especially when it comes to food. I scribbled down a list of places that some of you recommended and I want to cover, if possible, all of them, especially the chicken rice and Sing laksa places. So after shopping on Orchard Rd, we took a cab to Wee Nam Kee Chicken Rice which is at 275 Thompson Rd, Novena Ville. You'll know you are at the right place because of the bright lights and the queue for table. It was 10:30 pm, late for prim and proper Singaporeans, but the place was packed.

We weren't particularly hungry but I didn't want to miss a chance to cross out my list.

P1240200
Lotus root pork ribs soup.

"Not as good as Na's," said Ming in reference to my MIL's meat & bones-concentrated soups. My own mom cooks soup thin as tap water, so I try to strike a balance between them.

P1240201
Blacan kangkong.

Our favorite anytime anywhere, and this though not excellent but still was good.

P1240204
Plain boiled chicken.

Slippery smooth, soft and soaked in light chicken broth and soy sauce, this is heaven with the rice, soup and veg. Sabah chicken rice chicken is never this smooth and saucy. With inflation, Sabah chicken rice chicken has gone from bad to worse as they now chop the chicken into slivers as thin as fries.

P1240207
Chicken rice rice.

We agreed that the biggest reason why Singapore chicken rice is better than those in Sabah (and F said, better than even those in West Malaysia) is because they use grade A Thai fragrant rice whereas the chicken rice in Sabah is 3rd grade broken and usually 'hoong' or rice grains that's gone stale.

P1240208
The thick soy sauce, ginger and chili dip.

P1240205
Pork and century egg congee (very good, but I could taste the msg) and cuttlefish congee (nah).
We needed to doggy-bag the congee. The bill came to S$40.73/RM90/US$28 including drinks which was okay in Singapore but would be considered expensive in KK, for chicken rice. I wanted to walk home, to burn off the calories, but the others said I was crazy and they would never walk with me so we went home in a cab. Looking at my list, I still need to try Rui Kee Hainan Chicken Rice on North Bridge Rd and Famous Sungai Rd Trishaw Laksa. Maybe tomorrow.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

OMgoodnessgracious... chicken rice looks good.. and the kangkung! the porridge.. hmm not a big fan. sick man's food hardy har har

Anonymous said...

I am a chicken rice lover too. The food you have posted (and eaten) makes me wish I'm in Sg!

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

jc: hey, i think ur best pic is d one of u at chris' bday yrs ago, but u have to crop it. sick man's food?! wait till u loose ur teeth.

anon: all chicken rice lovers go to heaven!

Agnes @ rB said...

Look at the CHICKEN... I'm drooling very very SOON!!!! And the condiment looks good..... :))

Couldn't agree more u said the chicken rice back here in KK argh!!! I witnessed it myself seeing them flatting the chicken so flat and makes it look like alot. We got cheated!!

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

agnes: kk ppl always get ripped off, whether it's by the vendors or the gov't.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...