Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Ricotta Blueberry Muffins

P1160134a

Remember the 3-cheese sauce Wey wanted to cook? We couldn't find gorgonzola cheese here and Wey had opened the 500g tub of ricotta. We had to use it quick.

I have never made muffins before because I find the texture too heavy and the size too big - could never finish one and on those occasions my friends served them, I couldn't find convenient flower pots or waiters' behinds to stuff the unfinished food like Mr. Bean did. Then I read on my box of frozen blueberries a suggestion to make 'ricotta blueberries muffins', but there was no recipe. So I turned to Nee, and adapted the following recipe from her banana muffins.

P1160135a

These muffins turned out so soft I couldn't stop raving as I ate them, especially when they were still warm. However, I forgot that Nee's recipe had bananas which are sweeter than blueberries so the muffins were rather bland because I had used 100g of sugar only. For the recipe below, I've increased the amount of sugar but you can adjust it. I also used smaller muffin cups (so my muffins are like cupcakes) but to me, muffins aren't muffins unless thay are all puffed and cracked on top. My batter turned blue (esp. the second batch because it'd been sitting in the fridge) because I'd put in too much blueberries so in my recipe I've reduced the amount but you can always increase it.

P1160129a

Ricotta Blueberry Muffins
125g butter
130 to 150g castor sugar
2 eggs
100g blueberries, either frozen or fresh
2/3 cup ricotta cheese
125ml fresh milk
240g plain flour
1 t baking powder
1 t bicarb of soda

1. Oven on at 160 C. Line 12 large muffin cups with paper cases, or more if you make smaller muffins.
2. Beat butter and sugar till fluffy, add eggs one by one, beating well after each addition. After the last egg is added, turn machine on high for a couple of seconds so that the mixture turns from a thick batter into a light, airy whipped-butter like mixture . Add the ricotta cheese and mix well but do not overmix.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda together. Add the milk and flour alternately, using a hand whisk to mix. Finally add the blueberries and mix well quickly using a few folding strokes and a spatula (careful that you don't mash them up).
4. Spoon batter into the paper cups. I did fill my batter upto 60% as advised by Nee, but I prefer puffier muffins so I'd fill them a little higher (70%?) next time. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, test with a wooden skewer that should come out clean if muffins are done.

9 comments:

Christina Kim said...

I love blueberries!!
I don't really like cakes but I must say your blog has great pics of cakes:D
You must be a really great cook/baker!!:)
Nice blog!

Greg Wee said...

NEE: wow cool! looks really nice the muffins. If not overmixed, it taste so soft and cakey.

Hehe prob try the recipe out myself. sad thing in kuching is we can only find blueberry filling not frozen ones.would have to still use your amount of sugar if use filling.

Precious Pea said...

Cheesy muffin sounds yummy. Looks so good, must really try it out once i get my new oven. Baking is something I never really venture into but this, i must try.

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

christy: thanx. no, i'm just someone who loves to eat and cook.
gregwee:thanx sifu
preciouspea: i'm sure u'll do great. if cakes don't turn out good, give it to ur dogs..i used to do tt until they got so sick of my cakes, they turn the other way when i fed them my cakes.true story.

Thankgod4mothers said...

These muffins are gorgeous, Terri! Best I've ever tasted - texture is tender, moist and very delicious. But it's more like a cupcake than muffin? (normally muffins are mixed in, not creamed).

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

TGFM: u actually made them? tt's great :) i dunno about the methods but to me, muffins r usually heavier n more healthy with use of oil instead of butter n all kinds of fruits n veg.

Anonymous said...

What happen to the egg white?

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

anony: ?! thanks for alerting me! it should read egg instead of yolk, so sorry. many of my recipes are typed straight off my head n after i've cooked so sometimes my proof-reading is just not thorough n i appreciate when ppl tell me. but it can be frustrating if u r doing the recipe right now n can't ask me, i know, it's happened to me b4. :)

Denise ^ ChickyEGG said...

my Aunty, made this muffins TWICE in a week. and was perfectly done! very GOOOD + YUMMY! ( I ate it, tt's why i know).
However, this overly-clever aunty of mine, turned this recipe into a square tin when she bake for the third time!!! ( so have more shares for her cell group). She said it rise up so beautiful & well in the oven. but Once taken out from the oven, it sink when it started to cool down. Plus the bottom part a bit like watery-kuih texture wor... she asked why why why? why muffin is well but not the same when convert to baking tin

Denise The Menace

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...